so, what do we do?
Someone responded to my angry post from yesterday, asking what do we do to fight back.
Here are some answers — I’d love to hear yours.
1) Write the President. He’s not taking this on the way many of us who worked to elect him think he should.
2) Write your Senator and Representative, even if you think they’re totally uninterested. At least let them know that someone’s paying attention. Give them grief if they claim to worry about deficits but have signed an anti-tax pledge. Email is fine, but personalized emails, not just clicking on an online petition.
3) If you have awful Senators, or Representatives, figure out who might be running against them, and give time or money to them now, not a year from now. If no one is running yet, look around for someone you admire, and try to get them to run. Or run yourself.
4) Find 10 people you know, and get them riled up too. If you’re religious, see if your congregation has a social action or social justice ministry and get them engaged. Be the crazy woman (or man) at the playground who risks pissing people off.
5) Go to an April 4 rally next week. Make a big homemade sign about the issue that you’re most concerned about, and tell the people around you why.
6) Keep breathing.